Moving out and going to university is an exciting time, and with so much going on in your mind at once it would be easy to get confused. Planning and organisation are essential in such an important time.
From thinking about all the clothes you want to take, to all the necessities for your kitchen, here is a cleverly devised checklist of all the important items you don’t want to forget! Having worked in student accommodation for the past four summers, I have spoken to so many people about what they should bring with them to university and know what kind of things people forget, so I hope this helps you!
- Your passport, drivers license and national insurance number
- TV License if not provided
- A CV and any references you have gained
- Your bank details
- Your doctors and dentist details along with your NHS number
- A diary or calender could also be useful to make sure you don’t forget any important events!
- Grab a map of the local area and a guide to what’s going on
If you’re sharing a flat with a few others, it would be a good idea to discus what kitchen items you could each bring. It wouldn’t be very useful if all 5 of you brought a toastie maker yet no one brought any pans to cook any food. Maybe just bring the essential items with you on your first day and then discuss which appliances each could bring in the following few days. Also, maybe you could all put some money together and buy anything else needed between you. The majority of the time, appliances will already be provided in the flats but this will be something you need to find out prior to moving in.
- Corkskrew and bottle opener
- Mugs and glasses
- Plates and bowls
- Frying pans and saucepans
- Tin opener
- Chopping board
- Basic cupboard ingredients – coffee, tea, sugar, salt, pepper etc
- Cooking utensils – wooden spoon, spatula, masher
- Plastic boxes suitable for freezing – place any left over food (spag bol for example) in and freeze for another days meal!
- Plastic bowl that is suitable for microwaving – perfect for heating soups and beans!
- Sandwich bags
- Tea towels
- Tin foil and cling film
- Oven gloves
- Tray to carry food on if eating in bedroom
- Washing up liquid, dishcloth and scrubbing brush (for when the washing up actually DOES get done)
- Bath mat
- Bath and hand towels (maybe a flannel too)
- A basket to keep all your shower things in (handy if not in an en suite bedroom!)
- Toilet paper
- Toothbrush, toothpaste and mouthwash
- Shower accessories – soaps, bodywash, shampoo, conditioner
- Hair gels, hairspray
- Nail scissors/clippers
- Razors and shaving gel/foam
- Alarm clock
- Mini fridge – for those morning afters when you can’t be bothered to walk to the kitchen!
- Laptop and charger
- Phone charger
- Memory stick – essential for storing important work!
- Printer – though you should be able to use the ones in your university
- Network cable
- Bedside lamp
- TV and DVD player
- Camera – document your time at university so you can relive the memories later on
- Extension lead
- Desk lamp
- Notice board/white board – to make a note of important events
- Dictionary and thesaurus
- A pad of lined paper
- Plain A4 paper for printing
- Folders to keep your work in
- Stationary – Pens, pencils, rubbers, highlighters, tippex, ruler, stapler, hole punch
- White Tac – this won’t stain the walls like Blu Tac would
- Post it notes
- Laundry bag – Keep’s your clothes off the floor and makes it easy to take it to the laundry room….if your parents don’t do your washing!
- Clothes horse to dry your clothes in your room
- Dustpan and brush
- Cleaning products for your flat and your clothes
- Small vacuum
- Duvet and duvet covers
- Pillows and pillow cases
- Matress cover
- Hot water bottle
- Sleeping bag (if your mates stay over)
- Extra storage
- Spare lightbulb
- Any loose change
Don’t forget all your clothing any home comforts to make your room feel a little more homey!
I really do hope this list has helped, sometimes it’s good to check your list against someone else’s to make sure you have absolutely everything. Comment below if you think of anything that should be added.
Are any of you moving away this September, or staying at home like me?
Thanks for reading,
var _gaq = _gaq || ; _gaq.push(['_setAccount', 'UA-39507175-1']); _gaq.push(['_setDomainName', 'amyjanealice.blogspot.com']); _gaq.push(['_trackPageview']);